Society For Science
Science News has been published since 1922. This award-winning biweekly news magazine covers important and emerging research in all fields of science. It publishes concise, accurate, timely articles that appeal to both general readers and scientists, reaching nearly 130,000 subscribers and more than one million readers. Science News is published by Society for Science & the Public, a nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization dedicated to the public engagement in scientific research and education, which is heavily funded by Intel.
Science News wanted to make all their publications since 1922 available online for their subscribers. They also wanted to make all the articles searchable using faceted search, integrated with a taxonomy.
Blisstering worked with Science News’ team to move their digitized archived editions online and searchable just like modern content. The architecture supported non-structured multimedia content, with Google-like search capabilities. Users can search for old and new content seamlessly.
Science News’ subscribers can now browse and search through their huge archive of articles and information from their magazine publications since 1922.
- Digitization of publications since 1922 into an online library.
- Deep integration with Drupal taxonomy was carried out for autocomplete and quick searchability.
- Web/CMS: Drupal 7
- Stack: LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
- QA/PM: Selenium, Appium, Jira Confluence
- Search: Sphinx – Open Source Search engine to manage multiple formats such as XML, PDF, txt, blobs, etc.
- Hosting: BlackMesh
- CDN: Akamai