Sony MSM (Multi-Screen Media) has multiple television channels that are broadcast across the world. Each channel has their own website which displays the schedule, plays videos, displays shows, social media comments, and so on.
Sony’s previous websites were built ad hoc and had a single database, hence single point of failure. There were other issues with their architecture such as performance bottlenecks, no separation between sites in the backend, and so forth.
Blisstering developed a Drupal multi-site architecture where all sites were merged into a single stack. Having multiple DBs, along with caching and query optimization, allowed us to avoid performance bottlenecks.
Each site has its own separate DB thus aiding ease of separation and addition of new websites. Drupal’s compatible modules can be used as-is. Single installation of Drupal makes it easier to administer and maintain.
- Multi-lingual and Multi-locale websites.
- Each website has its own DB, thus improving performance.
- Apache/Solr search was implemented to search videos based on shows, date aired, and other meta data, integrated with the Drupal taxonomy.
- Single installation of Drupal, reduces maintenance effort.
- Web/CMS: Drupal 7
- Stack: LAMP (Linux, nginx, MySQL, PHP)
- QA/PM: Selenium, Jira Confluence
- Integration: Brightcove Video Streaming API’s
- Search: Apache/Solr
- Hosting: Amazon
- Scripting: jQuery
- Optimization: Varnish, Redis, Memcache, Yottaa
- Instrumentation: JMeter, BlazeMeter